Felix Steiner

Individual German officers, soldiers and award holders.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

Freiritter
Associate

Felix Steiner

Post by Freiritter »

I heard that Steiner and Hausser were instrumental in the early days of the SS-VT. Could someone tell me what they did to help create the Waffen-SS?
BullsEye

Re: Felix Steiner

Post by BullsEye »

Freiritter wrote:I heard that Steiner and Hausser were instrumental in the early days of the SS-VT. Could someone tell me what they did to help create the Waffen-SS?
Hi Freiritter,

Both Hausser and Steiner were talented trainers and innovators who's talents were put to use by the Waffen SS. Hausser came to the SS to oversee training. He founded the SS OTS at Braunschweig and set the curriculums there and at Bad Tolz. Steiner commanded shock troop formations in WWI. He viewed this form of warfare as the future and his training methods were incorporated into the curriculum at the SS OTS centers in Braunscheig and Bad Tolz.

Regards,

Oscar
"The sole criterion for a commander in carrying out a given operation must be the (amount of) time he is allowed for it." Erwin Rommel.
Freiritter
Associate

Post by Freiritter »

So Hausser and Steiner pretty much determined the basic doctrine and leadership styles of the Waffen-SS. If I may, what was the nature of Steiner's involvement with West European Freiwilligen? Thanks, BullsEye. BTW, what were the curriculums like at these schools? I heard that W-SS officers' training was a combination of hard physical training and other training like formal ballroom dance lessons.
BullsEye

Hausser and Steiner

Post by BullsEye »

Freiritter wrote:So Hausser and Steiner pretty much determined the basic doctrine and leadership styles of the Waffen-SS. If I may, what was the nature of Steiner's involvement with West European Freiwilligen? Thanks, BullsEye. BTW, what were the curriculums like at these schools? I heard that W-SS officers' training was a combination of hard physical training and other training like formal ballroom dance lessons.
Hi Freiritter,

Sorry pal but I can't help out much other than covering superficial stuff on this subject.

Regards,

Oscar
"The sole criterion for a commander in carrying out a given operation must be the (amount of) time he is allowed for it." Erwin Rommel.
M.Wittmann
Supporter

Re: Hausser and Steiner

Post by M.Wittmann »

BullsEye wrote:
Freiritter wrote:So Hausser and Steiner pretty much determined the basic doctrine and leadership styles of the Waffen-SS. If I may, what was the nature of Steiner's involvement with West European Freiwilligen? Thanks, BullsEye. BTW, what were the curriculums like at these schools? I heard that W-SS officers' training was a combination of hard physical training and other training like formal ballroom dance lessons.
Hi Freiritter,

Sorry pal but I can't help out much other than covering superficial stuff on this subject.

Regards,

Oscar
Both Steiner and Hausser believed in this statement:

"More sweat, less blood" so if the harder you train less blood will be spoiled. :? . Officers and NCO's had to be physically and metally fit to be an example for their men.
They were supposed to lead them during assaults and defensive actions, not just leading them from behind a desk.
"Klagt nicht, kämpft!"

Wanted:
Info about 5.SS-Pz(Gren)Div 'Wiking' and the dutch Waffen-SS volunteers.
Shadow
Patron

Post by Shadow »

Hello Freiritter -

From: “Verleihung Genehmigt! Eine Bild und Dokumentargeschichte der Ritterkreuztrager der Waffen-SS und Polizei” by Jost W. Schneider, R.James Bender Publishing:

RE: Hausser (page 157)
Quote:
“He transferred to the young SS-Verfugungstruppe and became the first commander of the SS Officer’s training School at Brunswick. In 1936, he was made Inspector of the SS-Verfugungstruppe. In the few years before the outbreak of the Second World War, Hausser moulded the SS-Verfugungstruppe into a unit which could later be employed on the front line. It was in the SS-Verfugungstruppe that certain things which we now take for granted were developed, for example, camouflage uniforms…the helmet covers and the original camouflage jacket. These were later adopted by the Regular Army (with only slight deviations), and were eventually developed even further by virtually every country. Sharp-shooting practice was carried out at the Army’s training grounds. Suitable young officers were able to continue their training with the Regular Army and an active exchange of officers between the SS-Verfugungstruppe and the Army was in evidence. Hausser managed all of this in the short years between 1936 and September 1, 1939. One may justifiably call him the “Scharnhorst of the Waffen-SS”. end quote.

RE: Steiner (page 403)
Quote:
“He left the Reichswehr in 1933 in order to carry out special assignments with the Training Department of the Wehrmacht. In 1935 he joined the SS-Verfugungstruppe and helped to build up the IIIrd Batttalion of the SS-Standarte “Deutschland” in Munich and in the SS-Training Camp at Dachau. In 1936 he was made CO………….which he molded into a competent fighting unit. He was well suited for the job, considering his background in World War I and afterwards. “Sweat saves blood” became the motto according to which the training of the SS troops was carried out. Wartime situations were duplicated as much as possible, and live ammunition was used. …………..
From 1941 until 1943, he led the “Wiking” Division, which consisted of Germans and West European volunteers, through incredible actions on the Russian front. Despite the fact that some authors continue to dispute the claim, the Waffen-SS had actually created the first, multi-national European Volunteer Division…”Wiking”…………
In 1943, using German as well as other European (including Latvian) volunteers, Steiner formed the IIIrd (Germanic) SS-Panzer Corps…….. end quote.

Also, from what I’ve read, these two officers were instrumental in originating the concept of Kampfgruppen (spelling?) or, Battle Groups fighting on as independent entities even as the command structure was whittled down by attrition. Even though the head was chopped off, the feet – arms – toes – fingers were taught to carry on fighting.

just my 2 cents worth -
Signed: "The Shadow"
Freiritter
Associate

Post by Freiritter »

Thanks, everybody.
tigre
Patron

Re: Felix Steiner

Post by tigre »

Hello to all :D; after a while a complement...................................

SS-Obergruppenführer und General der Waffen-SS Felix Steiner.

Source: https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-A_f3XTNoHc0/ ... y%2529.jpg
https://gmic.co.uk/topic/58817-finnish- ... /#comments

Cheers. Raúl M 8-)
Attachments
Felix Steiner wearing his Knight's Cross with Oak Leaves (I think) and below the Finnish Liberty Cross 1st Class 1941?...............
Felix Steiner wearing his Knight's Cross with Oak Leaves (I think) and below the Finnish Liberty Cross 1st Class 1941?...............
image135.jpg (25.98 KiB) Viewed 3402 times
Serás lo que debas ser o no serás nada. General José de San Martín.