MAJOR HUGO ROOS, Holder KC

Individual German officers, soldiers and award holders.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

DuneRider

MAJOR HUGO ROOS, Holder KC

Post by DuneRider »

HI all, I'm trying to find a picture/portrait of this much decorated soldier in Uniform please, as well as his Combat History and awards. I know he is the holder of the German Cross (Gold) 24.12.1941, Leutnant d.R., 11./Inf.Rgt. (mot) 119 and the Knights Cross 11.09.1942 Hauptmann Chef 11./Inf.Rgt 119 (mot) and Army Honour Roll Clasp 07.12.1944, Major, Stb./344. Inf.Div. Any other information would be greatly appreciated ! Any reference sites would also be most welcome THX, Paul Roos
charlieboy
Supporter

Re: MAJOR HUGO ROOS, Holder KC

Post by charlieboy »

hi DuneRider
on this forum check out knights cross biographies you will find something there about this man, and may i ask is he a relative,
as you both have the same surname.
micky
DuneRider

Post by DuneRider »

Hi Micky
Thx for your post. Re your question: He MIGHT be...still doing research. My for-fathers came from Germany (Leipzig) and the two branches I am researching indicates that Major Hugo Roos is related via the "branch" in Germany whilst the other "branch" settled in South Africa, where I reside. I collect Medals and thus the post on this forum as I would dearly love to obtain a picture of this guy in Uniform and establish all his "entitled" awards & decorations - in order for me to acquire examples of each for fameing. Of futher interest to you, as I note you are in the UK, is that I am a decendent of the "Cape Rebels" during the Boer War of 1899-1902 and have some Boer War Medals named to "ROOS" ... One in particular was a Boer wounded in battle, captured at Paardeberg and then sent as POW to Ceylon (now Sri lanka). Kind regards, Paul
DuneRider

Post by DuneRider »

Hi all
Herewith some more details I've managed to unearth ... and a picture in the post :D
This Soldier had an incredible period between 1940 & 1944.
He lost the lower part of one of his legs on the Eastern Front, spent time in hospital and within 4,5 months was back at the front (Western Front this time) in the thick of it ! What an incredible sodier indeed !

15.03.1940 - Deutsches Schutzwall Ehrenzeichen { West Wall Medal }
22.05.1940 - Eisernes Kreuz II. Klasse { Iron Cross 2nd Class, EKII }
11.06.1940 - Eisernes Kreuz I. Klasse { Iron Cross 1st Class, EKI }
15.07.1940 - Verwundetenabzeichen in Schwarz { Wound Badge in Black }
07.09.1940 - Infanterie – Sturmabzeichen in Silber { Infantry Assualt Badge in Silver }
24.12.1941 - Deutsches Kreuz in Gold { German Cross in Gold }
12.08.1942 - Winterschlacht Im Osten (Ostmedaille) { Eastern Front Medal }
13.09.1942 - Ritterkreuz des Eisernen Kreuzes { Knights Cross }
18.09.1942 - Verwundetenabzeichen in Silber { Wound Badge in Silver }
04.12.1943 - Nahkampfspange I. Stufe { Close Combat Bar in Bronze }
07.12.1944 - Ehrenblatt –Spange des Heeres { Army Honour Roll Clasp }