Paulus' family after his surrender?

Individual German officers, soldiers and award holders.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

Almeria

Paulus' family after his surrender?

Post by Almeria »

Anybody knows what happened to his family/relatives after his surrender? Iirc surrender was not likely taken by Hitler and co. when disobeying orders and such?

Thanks,
Remy
Doktor Krollspell
Patron

Post by Doktor Krollspell »

Hello Remy!

GFM Friedrich Paulus had one daughter and two sons (twins), Ernst Alexander Paulus and Friedrich Paulus. Both were officers and Friedrich was killed at the battle for Anzio in February 1944. His brother Ernst Alexander was a panzer officer that was wounded at Kharkov in 1942 while belonging to a unit of the 6. Armee. He was hospitalized back in Germany and thus did not take part in the battle for Stalingrad. The pressure against GFM Paulus' rumanian (of noble family) wife and the surviving son started after the 20th July 1944 bomb attempt on Hitler's life. GFM Paulus, who had resisted soviet efforts to enroll him in the propaganda fight against Germay, now more activly spoke out against Hitler. Apparently he was a friend to several of the executed officers after the bomb attempt. His wife refused to give up the name of Paulus and his son Ernst Alexander was detained in some way but survived the war.

Source for information/quotes was http://www.stalingrad.net

Regards,

Krollspell
"Wie es eigentlich gewesen ist"
Leopold von Ranke (1795-1886)
Almeria

Post by Almeria »

Interesting..hmmm al ong story there on Stalingrad.net, very much info, wonderful.

I think my lead leads to Ernst Alexander Paulus than...is there anything more known on him? Did he ever moved to the States for example..as I have reason to believe he has, or his children maybe were...

Thanks Doktor Krollspell.

ps. I do have more pics of ww2 and my granddad, need to give it a few days before I can list them.

Regards,
Remy
Beppo Schmidt
Associate

Post by Beppo Schmidt »

Ernst Paulus committed suicide in 1970.
Almeria

Post by Almeria »

Oh...that's sad news. Thank you.

Hmm Maybe I am confused than and my lead comes form Paulus'daughter? Did she ever move to the States? I have reason to believe I spoke with his (great, great?) grandson there?

Any info is welcome.

Thanks

Remy
max painless
Under Review

Post by max painless »

Are you sure he killed himself?
Beppo Schmidt
Associate

Post by Beppo Schmidt »

Are you sure he killed himself?
According to William Craig:
The field marshal died in 1957 after a lingering illness. In 1970, his son Ernst committed suicide. He was fifty-two, his father's age when he surrendered his Sixth Army at Stalingrad.
Enemy at the Gates, page 401
lamhungbao

Re: Paulus' family after his surrender?

Post by lamhungbao »

I cannot imagin he commited suicide. He was a Roman Catholic. Suicide is one of the worst sins Catholics can commit.

I think his daughter did not go to America. I met his daughter in my childhood some times. The Paulus family lived in our neighborhood. When I was around 30, I met her again. She was still living around there, where I saw her in my childhood. We didn't speak about her plans, but I had not the impression she would go to America.
lwd
Enthusiast

Post by lwd »

If he was 58 when he died he could well have had children and even grandchildren.
Dale
Supporter

Post by Dale »

Interesting Remy -- I had heard that a descendant of FM Paulus lived in my area and was a practicing dentist. I am in the States, in PA. I did not ever follow-up on this but it certainly stands out in my memory. I have to try and remember who it was that told me this information.
Dale