German OOB - Salerno

German unit histories, lineages, OoBs, ToEs, commanders, fieldpost numbers, organization, etc.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

jimdunnam

German OOB - Salerno

Post by jimdunnam »

I am researching command organization for German units at Salerno, including KG attachment and arrival dates and times. I already have a good start. I've seen very good input on 16th Panzer. Some of my work is speculative for things I could not find records on.

Please post or email if interested in helping out.

JD
tigre
Patron

Re: German OOB - Salerno

Post by tigre »

Hello to all :D; just two cents.................................

Salerno landing 1943.

Prior September 9, in Salerno Bay, the 16. Panzer took over from the 222. Italian Coastal Defence Division. The Germans received a message by radio at 15:40 hours on the 8th , using code word Okran (Major Landing imminent), putting all German defences to battle readiness. By the time of the assault the German 16. Pz Division was deployed with three combat groups (Oberst von Döring near Paestum with Panzergrenadier Regiment 79, Oberst Stempel near Battipaglia with Panzergrenadier Regiment 64 and Oberstleutnant Dörnemann with Aufklärungsabteilung 16 near Salerno). Kampfgruppe von Holtey as reserve in Persano. In the meantime, parts of the Panzer Regiment 2, cut out with the 26th Panzer Division when the enemy landed behind them near Bagnara (Calabria), have returned.

Other German forces near the area were Hermann Goring Luftwaffe Panzer Division at Naples and the 15th Panzer Grenadiers in Gaeta. These along with the 16th Panzer Division at Salerno represented some 45,000 troops. South of Salerno blocking Montgomery’s advance in Calabria was the 26th Panzer Division And the 29th Panzer Grenadiers Division some 30,000 men.

By the end of the first day, the depleted 16 Panzer Division had the beach head pinned down in the basin of Salerno Bay, by control of the encircling mountains. The plan Von Vietinghoff (AOK. 10) decided upon was to harass the beach and for this two Panzer Corps Headquarters would be used. For the North Sector (British X Corps and Special Forces) using XIV. Panzer Corps and for the Americans LXXVI Panzer Corps would deal with the South beach head.

15th Panzer Grenadiers had only 7 tanks and 18 assault guns for support. The Herman Goering had just 30 tanks and 21 Assault guns. Fuel was the main problem for the Germans and this held up 29th Panzer Grenadiers for the 9th and 10th September with no petrol.

Sources: THE CAMPAIGN IN SOUTHERN ITALY (September - December 1943). Report Nro 18.
The Italian Campaign: Salerno. Strategy & Tactics. March 1992.
https://history.army.mil/brochures/naples/72-17.htm

Cheers. Raúl M 8).
Attachments
Salerno. The plain of Salerno in Italy, rlnged and dominated by mountains, provided observation posts and commanding positions for the enemy.......
Salerno. The plain of Salerno in Italy, rlnged and dominated by mountains, provided observation posts and commanding positions for the enemy.......
image008.jpg (34.61 KiB) Viewed 2530 times
image039.jpg
image039.jpg (68.61 KiB) Viewed 2530 times
Serás lo que debas ser o no serás nada. General José de San Martín.