Battalion-Company level maps

German unit histories, lineages, OoBs, ToEs, commanders, fieldpost numbers, organization, etc.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

RANGERF

Battalion-Company level maps

Post by RANGERF »

It's possible found (in NARA records?) maps showing battalion company level positions for a German infantry unit.
I have maps at división level units but I don't know if I can found this anywhere. Specially in late 42 aand early 43
with defensive sittuations. (I have one for the Blue División found in a book)

Thank you so much
MadDog
Associate

Re: Battalion-Company level maps

Post by MadDog »

From what I have seen (various field command rolls for late 1944), it depends on which level you are looking at. The 15th Army maps I have show down to the btl. level,. while the LXXXVIII corps maps shows some Kp. level positions.

For the 1942 and 43 period, the number of field command records remaining should be much higher. I dont have a good grasp of the division level records as so few exist for my time period of study. however, I would imagine they would have a good chance of showing Kp positions.

Mad Dog
RANGERF

Post by RANGERF »

Thank you so much MadDog.
I think I make a wrong question because I want maps like this, with situation of MG, mortars etc. in a defensive position.
Is posible this is only a spanish practice but maybe the German units make the same maps.

Thanks again everybody
Attachments
Small units positions
Small units positions
KrasnyBor-1943 (Small).jpg (118.44 KiB) Viewed 4535 times
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

Every one made maps like that, but finding them is a crap-shoot. Even in rolls of microfilm, there's no guarantee you'll find them. Be very happy when you do!
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
MadDog
Associate

Post by MadDog »

If I had to guess, you want division level files.

Go to www.sturmpanzer.com and look through the T315 Rxxx index files for the divisions you are interested in. Some of the roll descriptions might indicate which rolls are high priority for you.

Mad Dog
RANGERF

Post by RANGERF »

MadDog wrote:If I had to guess, you want division level files.

Go to http://www.sturmpanzer.com and look through the T315 Rxxx index files for the divisions you are interested in. Some of the roll descriptions might indicate which rolls are high priority for you.

Mad Dog
Thank you Mad.

I have records from the 1 Infanterie Division with "Lagekarten" but no small units positions, maybe I don't found
the right roll, but I think Tom have right with no maps like this in the Division records.

I know some Spanish Blue Division veterans and historians here in Spain, and I will try to get other interesting maps, and share here for everyone.

Thanks again for your help