feldpost 30798

German unit histories, lineages, OoBs, ToEs, commanders, fieldpost numbers, organization, etc.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

Schmul

feldpost 30798

Post by Schmul »

I have discovered letters by my father to his family from Russia in 1941 they were from feldpost 30798. I am trying to work out what his unit was

I have sketchy information and no one to confirm details. He was a mechanic who worked with tanks including changing the fuel types when they went on to synthetic fuel.

I remember him saying that his group emblems were SS2 with oakleaves but that does not seem to match with the rest of the places unless he was transferred.

He was in a number of places including those listed below (but not in chronological order) all I have is dots on a map he drew for me 20 plus years ago and he died 8 years ago

Vyazma
Rzkev
un named between Vyazma and Gzhatsk
Gzhatsk (Jan 1942) from a photo.
Borodino
Mozhaysk
Zvenigorod
Ruz

He ended up captured in Czeckoslavakia 5 days after the war ended by russians and ended up in prison camp 7362/1 near Stalingrad.

Any hints appreciated.

Andrew in Australia
hucks216
Contributor

Re: feldpost 30798

Post by hucks216 »

(Mobilmachung-1.1.1940) Werkstatt-Kompanie 252,
(28.2.1941-29.7.1941) Kraftwagen-Werkstatt-Kompanie 252.
Schmul

Re: feldpost 30798

Post by Schmul »

Is there any way of finding out where this company (Kraftwagen- Werkstatt- Kompanie 252 - Feldpost 30798 ) ended up? I have a map with pen marks of where they were stationed which followed the road from Warsaw to Moskow. the furthest East they got was Zvenigorod they spent time at Ruza and Gzhatsk. They also spent time in Minsk and Smolensk. I don't have dates What equipment would they have been maintaining - I believe tanks but I don't know which divisions etc

any help appreciated - My interest has been reignited as I have made contact with family members who are interested in knowing more.