"Das Reich" SPs during Barbarossa

German unit histories, lineages, OoBs, ToEs, commanders, fieldpost numbers, organization, etc.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

Abwehr
Contributor

"Das Reich" SPs during Barbarossa

Post by Abwehr »

In James Lucas' book on SS Div. Das Reich, he mentions that a battery of SPs was incorporated into the division for the first campaign in the east.

Since the term SP could apply to anything from vehicle-mounted artillery to tank destroyers to StuGs, does anyone have any clarification on what type of SPs would have been in the division in summer 1941?
Jason Long
Contributor

Post by Jason Long »

These were short-barreled StuG IIIs. 7 of them to be exact

Jason
Abwehr
Contributor

Post by Abwehr »

Jason,

Thanks! Any idea how the unit was organized (i.e. was it part of the artillery battalion, one of the infantry regiments, or its own formation within the division?).
Jason Long
Contributor

Post by Jason Long »

IIRC, and I don't have the divisional history at hand, it was independent.

Jason
tigre
Patron

Re: "Das Reich" SPs during Barbarossa

Post by tigre »

Hello to all :D; a query...................................

StuG III delivered to SS-Das Reich before Barbarossa 1941.

AFAIK by general order dated 7 May 1941 every independent assault gun battery (sturmgeschütz-batterie) were to be reorganised under K.St.N.446 dated 18 April 1941. This organisation authorized every previously created independent assault gun battery to posses a seventh assault gun for the Battery Cdr before tha attack on Russia. https://reibert.info/attachments/stugiii-jpg.2375286/

Nigel Askey in his work also stated Das Reich had on hand seven StuG III (see below). But others sources (several) stated that the first unit created is a simple Battery formed at the beginning of February 1941. It includes 6 StuG.III Ausf.B instead of the 8 planned, it is subordinated to SS-Art.Ersatz.Rgt. in Berlin.

The unit is operational in mid-March and is under the command of SS-Haupsturmführer Joseph Günster. The Battery is made up of 3 Züge (platoon) and includes a total of 8 guns. Each StuG III bears a baptism name painted on the sides as follows: "Seydlitz", "Schill", "Prinz Eugen", "York", "Lützow", "Ziethen", "Blücher", and "Derfflinger", the first being that of the Battery Cdr. One of them "in black"??

The battery commander was SS-Hstuf. Günster, being the platoon commanders.
I.Zug: SS-Ostuf. Telkamp
II.Zug: SS-Ostuf. Mäder
III.Zug: SS-Ostuf. Kneissl

Source: http://did.panzer.pagesperso-orange.fr/ ... Reich.html
Operation Barbarossa: the Complete Organisational and Statistical Analysis, and Military Simulation, Volume I Operation Barbarossa. Nigel Askey
https://reibert.info/threads/divizija-s ... 749/page-4

TIA. Cheers. Raúl M 8).
Serás lo que debas ser o no serás nada. General José de San Martín.