Podgaje, 1945

German campaigns and battles 1919-1945.

Moderator: sniper1shot

Juergen Fritz

Re: Podgaje, 1945

Post by Juergen Fritz »

hello Gents-heare an update/P.S.on whats happening to the Podgaje/Flederborn Refugees Report of the Innkeeper&Major? Erhard Jahnke Original in Bundesarchive Koblenz/Germany?
My Translation from a polish Record:Erhard Jahnke was ask (by the majority of escaped Refugees) to go back after the Battle and have a look at the Village..19.2.1945..He reportet befor to see the Units of the "Volksturm" from Ledyczka and other Villages,Never to forget the Sight! Old and Young Men some without Boots in "Slippers" without arms,slowly marching in the kneedeep Snow! in the last Days of this Week came also 500 Cadetts (or Officer Aspirants) from "Gross Born"as backup.On the Monday 29.1 came the Latvian SS Divison-the Soldiers behaved like in "Enemy Country"!In the Evening we all seen in the East the burning Villages..
The Breakout was discribed by Arthur Sigaillis,Latvian SS Fhr.in his Book:"Latvian Legion":The breakout startet 11ham on 2.2.1945 but came under severe Artillery Fire(10 MInutes!) from both Roadsides,at Podgaje?Flederborn the Units became entangled with the Refugees who jammed the Road-with severe Casultys and gret Damage.The Road was litteret with dead Men and Horses The Div.Artillery lost 3 light and two heavy Guns (10,5cm Hauoitzers?)many Buildings on Fire and illuminating the Streetfighting...
Back in Podgaje/Flederborn Erhard Jahnke see's the destroyed Village The Remains of the Defense Barrels of the destroyed 8,8cm Flak-next to it the naked Bodys of 2 german Women the Fight from 31.1.-3.2 1945 all destroyed all over lie dead Men and Animals many unknown Civilians-(Possible a Transport of escapees from the Front)No dead Russians 2 in a Grave in Augustas Berkow's Garden?after a Week (still Frost!) the buried the Dead all 400 Men most Latvians many german Soldiers and Civilians 15-20 polish Soldiers in an extra grave buried-a Shellhole filled with Dead in the Road and a Massgrave in nearby Jastrow in the Schoolyard so in the Woods around Massgraves..
Juergen Fritz

Post by Juergen Fritz »

8) Hello Gentleman,
another update on FLEDERBORN/PODGAJE
I managed to get latvian Waffen Sturmbannfuehrer Kiiliitis,Diary written 3 Days later (in latvian handwriting)translatet by a Specialst!in english he captured the unfortunatly polish Soldiers(scolded them for fighting Latvians,there former Friends?Poles are surprised)he not mentioned that the wounded were shot? and handed the Survivors to german/dutch Waffen SS (48.Regiment "General Seiffert), in Podgaje-the were filled up with german SS grenadiers after badly decimatet! in Podgaje there were more polish POws about 100 men..His battlediary says some of the Situation in Podgaje 31.1.45-2.2.45 and the breakout to Landeck-most are identical with Waffen Oberfhr.Arthur Sigailis Book :Latvian Legion-but much more detailed!He statet that on the Night 31.1-1.2 45 some Houses in Podgaje were allreaddy burning and he says:all polish POWs were shot by the German Waffen SS-just after Interrogation-many dead Poles lying in the roads,so many civilians and Horses/cattle,obviously in this Situation nobody tried to stop the spreading of Fire(to the Barn?)still under sporadic Artillerie Fire,the fog and smoke createt an eary Glow over the doomed Village the snow start to melt and Blood filled the muddy Puddles He mentioned some House fighting with soviet Troops and the difficulties of Command to break out under Fire..
Hope I get some Respons on this?
I will try to get an Expert Pathologist Expertise on the burned polish Soldiers.. %E Best Regards Jurgen
Juergen Fritz

Post by Juergen Fritz »

Hello Herr Alan Bloemeke,
Bitte Contact noch einmal(mit valuable E-Mail Address?)
I habe meine Post an Sie zurukbekommen -?
Gruesse J.F
sniper1shot

Post by sniper1shot »

Please ensure ALL posts are in English OR have an English translation.
Only he is lost who gives himself up as lost.
Juergen Fritz

Post by Juergen Fritz »

MERRY CHRISTMAS,
Snipershot,sorry I forgot:Post to Mr.Bloemeke says:got all my E-Mails back-please Check out?
There we are good Wishes for 2011!
Best Regards
Jurgen :D